Auto Save On Mac

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by trudnai, Sep 13, 2016.

1. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Hey guys, though I would just share this super simple way to make BuildBox saving the docs every minutes to avoid data loss if something unexpected happens.

Just launch ScriptEditor and type this script in, and when using BuildBox run the script. There are better solution to this like ForeverSave, but if you choose not to buy those software this can still save your day

Screenshot_20160913-060206.png

FoxTom, Nihat, eyal and 1 other person like this.
  2. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

\

Wow - thank you for that.
    Now, after I write it and pressed play - where does it save it ?
    can I run it in the background all the time ?
    how ?

3. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

All it does is to "press Cmd+S" which is Save function, so it will save the project with the same name to the same folder. It does not create versions like ForeverSave does. It just saves your whatever BBDOC currently loaded and if BB crashes or server unreachable or anything else happens you have a chance to have a fairly fresh copy of your work.

I suggest to use it with TimeMachine and/or Dropbox folder so you will have a versions backup of you saves.

eyal likes this.
  4. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

but how does it know where to save ?
    and if it's running like I see it is, why don't I see the saves ?

5. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

When you load a BBDOC into BB and you press Cmd+S (or click on Save from the File menu), then BB will save your work to the very same file. I guess you already do this, right?

This script does not do anything else then just press that Cmd+S for you from time to time, so you will not forget that while you are deep inside building your game. No magic there and no rocket science either :)

You will not see it is saving as BuildBox does not give you a feedback of that. Having said that if your file is big you may see the File menu briefly become selected plus maybe there is a glitch on editing or playing. In other words for a brief moment BB frozen up (that's because saving file is a critical process, you do not want to start saving objects and links while someone is still editing because that might leave the objects inconsistent - but we went to far with the explanation of this already, you do not need to know the details, just wanted to explain that this is not a bug neither this script nor BuildBox)

eyal likes this.
  6. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

Am I doing it right ? - https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0y9vozi7bc0qaw/Screenshot 2016-09-13 20.52.21.png?dl=0

7. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

eyal likes this.
  8. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

9. FoxTom

FoxTom Boxer

Hey guys.
    Had a crash this morning that made me lost two days of work (yeah, I should really save more often, but I'm used to Xcode saving when building ...).

So I looked at an autosave feature : thanks for the script, it works great (just the "focus app" that is a bit annoying when not currently on Buildbox). I've tweaked it a bit using Automator, so that it launches the app and the script automatically.

You just have to edit it my script (available here : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3mcqnp062zis52t/AACfoACNQ5kIdPaChDGwGXMIa?dl=1 ) in Automator and drop your bbdoc in the first step of the automator script : [​IMG]

Put it in the Shortcuts of the Application Bar, or where you usually launch Buildbox, and it'll open the file with Buildbox and run the script in the background.
    If you'd rather, you can replace the "Open finder files" by "Open app" and just open Buildbox instead of opening a specific BBDOC.

Hope it'll be useful to some.

10. 5petersonzachary

5petersonzachary Serious Boxer

Any idea on how to do this in windows

BTNGaming likes this.
  11. BTNGaming

BTNGaming Boxer

How do we set this up on Windows?

12. Jackps

Jackps Boxer

I'm using autoit script and task maneger, I haven't found best decision yet for it.

upload_2019-7-31_15-25-25.png