How Do You Get New Game Ideas

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by tahirk, Aug 27, 2016.

1. tahirk

tahirk Boxer

Just wanted to know about fellow boxers, how do you get your game ideas. Once you have it, how do you plan to move forward i.e. how do you decide on graphics, level design etc.

Any particular recommendation for a book or any other source will also do.

2. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

1. First off, one of they ways that I come up with ideas is to always bring a notebook with me wherever I go. Never know when a spark might hit. Going down the toy isle at Walmart sparked a few
    2. Participate in Game Jams!!! You are forced to come up with ideas based on a theme. I host a couple each year. I have several game projects waiting to be created based off of stuff that has come out of those jams.

As for graphics, as an artist/designer, there are things that I want to try personally. I just actually released my first game this weekend and it's a flat design. I'm working on another game that is based on the tool called Hexels, and I've really been wanting to experiment and push myself with a Pixel art type game. I like to challenge myself with doing something new or trying something that I have always been inspired by.

Books? I don't really have any recommendations.

As for Inspiration, I always am looking (as a designer) at Pinterest, Dribbble, and Behance to see what others are doing.

Hope this helps a little.

3. VectologyGames

VectologyGames Serious Boxer

Shrooms....

JoeWilson, INKY, eyal and 1 other person like this.
  4. tahirk

tahirk Boxer

Awesome, really nice of you to share your personal experiences. So the basic idea is to note down the smaller details and then improve upon those details.

5. bentforktech

bentforktech Avid Boxer

I like to see what else is happening. Then I try and put my own spin on it. I am not an artist so I rely on others in that respect. But I am in the middle of 2 games and 2 more that are on paper just waiting to happen. I like to jump between my 2 games to keep it fresh. 1 is almost done. Just finishing touches. The second I just finished working out how to do a new way of control for my game. (for me anyway).

6. FrankNagy

FrankNagy Boxer

Playing with Setting, Even mistakes, Can spark ideas for a new Game Dynamic.
    I decided one day I'd mess around with Wheels. And I got a concept for my very Addictive Game.
    (took about 5 hours to make also)

So I'd say between that, and making twist(s) of other games that have influenced your life. You might get a few ideas :)

Some ideas may come with finding Royalty Free Artwork that can be used in your projects.

7. Nihat

Nihat Serious Boxer

Be creative..

Christoph likes this.