Did anyone ever used Android Studio to build or emulate BB games?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by smmsud, Feb 22, 2016.

1. smmsud

smmsud Boxer

The question sums up .. Did u ever?

2. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

3. Gregory Storm

Gregory Storm Avid Boxer

Eclipse is dead. Google no longer supports developing Android apps using Eclipse ADT http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2015/06/an-update-on-eclipse-android-developer.html and has moved to Gradle and Android Studio. Google and 3rd party vendors I want to work with don't support their Eclipse plug-ins and SDKs because Eclipse is dead so I'm not able to use them until there is a way to convert BB projects to Android Studio.

You can't make the game builder of the future when it only exports to IDEs of the past. Buildbox should export to work with Android Studio directly from the Export options.

smmsud likes this.
  4. smmsud

smmsud Boxer

@TreySmith Any thought on the development process?

5. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

@Andy said something on another post that they are working on that -- As far as I can recall it will support for both ADT and AS but we needs a confirmation on that.

6. Gregory Storm

Gregory Storm Avid Boxer

@trudnai What's the point of supporting ADT when it's no longer supported by Google? They should only support Gradle/Android Studio going forward.

7. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

@Gregory Storm My only guess would be that if for whatever reasons one wants to use ADT then they can do that. Other than that I am not sure either. I had my rounds with ADT too when realized it would not work with new Java versions and I refused to open up my dev box to cyber criminals by re-installing Java 6 on my Mac. It took me a while to get rid of it and now I prefer not going down that road again.

8. Gregory Storm

Gregory Storm Avid Boxer

@trudnai Thanks for reminding me that I was forgetting to mention that even the version of Java version that Buildbox recommends has also reached End of Life and is no longer supported. Full time coders might have preferred ADT back when it was still being supported but I don't think anybody using Buildbox wants to use ADT. Especially when there is a better easier to use solution like Android Studio.

edwin_simonds likes this.
  9. GexMob

GexMob Boxer

I saw this video on YouTube
    But didn't try it yet

10. EOthmane

EOthmane Boxer

It's actually pretty easy to do!
    Just import your exported project into Android Studio as an eclipse project.
    Create a file named "gradle.properties", in it paste this : ndk=[PATH TO YOUR NDK]
    Rebuild Gradle.
    You'll still have a few deprecated functions you'll need to replace, e.g : FloatMath into Math. But that's about it if I remember correctly.

P.S : You can download the ndk from here : http://developer.android.com/ndk/downloads/index.html

11. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

I don't get what you all are saying.....I've imported bb projects into android studio and exported the apk successfully and it ran fine. Not following the problem here lol

12. ZikZak

ZikZak Boxer

Sorry for waking up an old thread but I'm trying to learn about the exporting procedure. So, why is NDK mentioned here and not SDK? And why are people saying Eclipse is dead? Isn't there a current version called Neon and which can be used to build an APK?

13. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

SDK stands for Software Development Kit and NDK is for Native Development Kit. The big difference is that a "normal" Android app is written in Java and compiles to Dalvik Bytecode which is then runs on a virtual machine (VM). BuildBox is based on Cocos-2D-x which is written in C++ and runs natively on the bare metal, therefore much faster than Dalvik (which is btw faster than Java Virtual Machine but still cannot be as fast as the "real thing")

Eclipse is not dead. It is just Google who prefers you to use Android Studio...

14. ZikZak

ZikZak Boxer

Thanks for the info trudnai!
    Funny how just after asking about NDK, Android Studio prompted me to download it when I tried the 'import Eclipse/Gradle project' feature :) I've actually tried to use AS to build an apk before (failed) but it didn't ask for NDK.
    Now after donloading and installing NDK, it's telling me "Gradle sync failed: Error: NDK integration is deprecated in the current plugin. Consider trying the new experimental plugin".
    It also said the following in the 'ECLIPSE ANDROID PROJECT IMPORT SUMMARY':