Is Anyone Making Any Money From Their Games?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by simonsaunders, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

I probably should not comment, but I think this is helpful:
    Color Switch made it to number 1 of all apps as a Buildbox game. There are no limitations, only obstacles to break through.

Shawh, russellartista, eyal and 4 others like this.
  2. VectologyGames

VectologyGames Serious Boxer

This forum in general is getting waaaaaay to nitpicky and focused on @Machine Rises ColorSwitch. The game is bad-ass, with awesome game play to boot. Even in it's current state, a dedicated and skillful Buildbox dev can develop most of the functions. I'm also sure the BB team is working on implementing features that mirror ColorSwith gameplay.

Qdeveloper likes this.
  3. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

Very true.

cvhrnutds, Qdeveloper and chadh0130 like this.
  4. carlosabreu1981

carlosabreu1981 Boxer

Hi all, bb is a brilliant piece of software,
    i see this post as a constructive criticism, try to put on the shoulder of a single game the success of a tool is like to try to judge monkeys by his ability to fly, for sure bb lack of some tools, i'm pretty sure we can live with that and keep delivering quality content,
    Regards.

Starman and Qdeveloper like this.
  5. JustWatchApps

JustWatchApps Avid Boxer

I hear Unity3d has an insurmountable limitation as well... you need to know programming to use it. o_O

Jay Jennings and cvhrnutds like this.
  6. Aaron F

Aaron F Avid Boxer

Short Answer - Yes people are making money from their Buildbox games.

7. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

That's the inner limitation, not the limitation of the game engine though :)

8. Taimoor Javaid

Taimoor Javaid Avid Boxer

Still no one is sharing $ numbers. I like the way how dan_councell write a blog about his game Almost impossible and share his experience and earning that was really helpful and have not seen any other member doing the same or at least gave us an estimate about there earning also most of the boxer don't help other boxers they just came here to find solution of their problems. this is really disappointed.
    And i believe that color switch [1.0.1] have those downloads just because of publisher 20%[dev] - 80%[publisher] and David keep telling us its all because of game design and bla bla bla... But i have seen many Buildbox games more creative more interesting and more attractive than color switch and VectologyGames, Kevin W and some other game developer here have amazing artwork and the thing is you have to choose a right time and right publisher to take most out of your game (damn daniel) and i would like to thanks Andy trudnai brakewind723 @sean Aaron F Christoph these guys are rock star very creative and very helping.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  9. carlosabreu1981

carlosabreu1981 Boxer

@Taimoor Javaid, you are very right in every word, just to let you know, its the same in every community,
    can you give me the link to the blog you mention in your post ?

Attached Files:

10. Taimoor Javaid

carlosabreu1981 likes this.
  11. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I agree that the community could be much more open. It is actually one thing I really dislike of the industry and the members here.

In my opinion there are a lot of Buildbox games with high quality and most of them have over 100,000 downloads. Color Switch is one of them (obviously). I remember the first time I saw it and I knew it was going to be huge. It was perfect in every sense. Back then I didn't know much regarding the publishing process and it seems Fortafy didn't either. They actually published it on a Sunday and not a Thursday to get the feature. And it wasn't until Fortafy started to spread the social videos which all went viral thanks to his fan-base. Truth is you need a really good game and a really good marketing strategy. Only then it's possible to get that far. Game quality is also a matter of taste. In my case Color Switch and Slip Away are the only two games that really stayed on my phone and which I still play (if I have the time). So props to these two developers from my end.

Aaron says people are making money and it for sure is true, but I strongly believe that we only have a dozen developers (or less) who really are making money. The rest of us are just getting started. At least I am. Hope with my next game I'm joining the club. :D

cvhrnutds and carlosabreu1981 like this.
  12. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

The "bla bla bla" that I'm sharing is exactly the things I did to get me to where I am. Sorry guys there's no magic trick beyond that from the knowledge I can share with you. If all you hear is white noise from me then there's nothing else I can do to help you that's on you to listen or to not listen. It does all come down to game design because when I showed my publisher a game I had designed that was a result of 10,000 plus hours spent on understanding and applying game design concepts this is what got me my deal. If I had cared about numbers or other technical details I would have had my thoughts in places that were a waste of time. Your results in life are a result of your thinking. If you don't like your results so far then you had better start improving your thinking it's as simple as that. That's on you all as individuals, so don't waste time and energy getting upset if you feel someone isn't sharing the information you want. Instead work on yourself, take ownership of your results and learn and apply the invaluable information that is on these forums and everywhere else in the world.

13. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

Dang it! Oh well, back to making sure our new game has parallelism and nested triangularity...

Starman and Machine Rises like this.
  14. cvhrnutds

cvhrnutds Boxer

Very well expalined and said. It's the knowledge and the analytical skills that one requires to get success.
    I remember listening to your interview just a few days back where you were talking about game design, it had great input. I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge that matters most to everyone. Its not how much you make that inspires me, but how you analyse things and come up with something unique.
    Being frank my brother got into game development a year back as a learner learning coding in unity but we kept seeing furthermore even though he didnt have the ability yet to create anything on whatever knowledge he had at that moment.
    So we sat down analysing various mobile games, Color switch was'nt out yet. We covered all the aspects from what the general audience likes, different types of gameplays, what kind of UI feels good and is addictive. We did'nt know much about the art of game designing but i can say we were and are good at analysing things. I remember telling him lets think of something with colors, basic geometric shapes. Something simple deep down to the basic level. I'm not bragging about us but whatever you say i can relate to it. Just like when Bbm messenger was on a hype, i recollect telling my friends it would be better if such a mobile messenger comes where you can chat with your existing phone numbers and no BB pin or whatsoever, and voila we have whatsapp taken over the world. Just dint have the expertise to create that.
    So my point is quite simpe, dont just think about the money part. If you can create something of value be it games or anything, you are a success. Now i know one needs to achieve something to sound credible, i may lack that credibility for now. But hopefully someday things will go good .
    And i'm glad i have buildbox and so many helpful experienced people like David here.

Imagine if i had a drag and drop kind of a tool like buildbox back when i thought of a concept like whatsapp, it could be huge for me. I lack coding skills, buildbox is great for people like me. :)
    Hope no one is offended by what all i said.

15. JustWatchApps

JustWatchApps Avid Boxer

Not really true... When comparing apples and oranges, it cuts both ways. If BB is called 'limited' because it has to do so much of the 'programming' for an individual that it can't have tons of flexibility - then Unity has to be called 'limited' because it does NOT provide that ability for non-programmers.

In my opinion, if someone is a skilled programmer and they purchased BB, they missed the point. It is marketed as 'make games without any coding skill.' Anybody that thinks you can build Clash of Clans without knowing some coding really should just be doing something different lol ;)

carlosabreu1981 likes this.
  16. VectologyGames

FYI, this is a money making race to the finish line. No one is going to actually help you make money WITHOUT getting a cut for themselves. Also, Dan Councel article was a great piece of content marketing (he also owns Realmac software). Which is why I think he made the article in the first place (Buildboxers can't code, so maybe they cant build websites either) SMART!

17. ramiucef

ramiucef Avid Boxer

wait... , what ? BB is Limited , what are you talking about ? if you are a non-programmers you can use buildbox easily , but no way for Unity :p

18. Aaron F

Aaron F Avid Boxer

Unity does provide plenty of ability for non-programmers. Everything has limitations the trick is to produce within those limitations.

playsgames6666 likes this.
  19. Taimoor Javaid

FYI i'm a software engineer, Can code and also can build websites :p

Starman and playsgames6666 like this.
  20. VectologyGames

That's great man. I was just making a comment about the motives of Dan Councel blog post.

Taimoor Javaid likes this.