Delete Backgrounds From Atlas?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Ged, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Ged

Ged Boxer

Hi all!

So I'm creating a game (surprise) and I have an issue with backgrounds and atlases.

I've read all the info I could from these forums and I'm able to delete everything else from the atlas except any of the backgrounds I've added to the game (including the ones that come with the default gamemode).

So the basic, "optimize" and "rebuild" don't work here. I have just one world in my current game and I have no background on it. I deleted the old worlds with the old backgrounds I want to delete.

I even went so far as to delete EVERYTHING (objects, worlds, UI's). It deleted everything else from the atlasses, except the BG's.

This might be just a bug... If it is, I hope buildbox boys find a solution for it. I have to start my game from scratch now unless one of you have found a solution for my issue. Any help is appreciated.

2. VectologyGames

VectologyGames Serious Boxer

I'm having the same problem. THIS IS FREAKING DRIVING ME INSANE!!!!!! @Andy please help :(
    Support ticket number: #47999

3. Ged

Ged Boxer

I've found that there is no way to select and delete background layers ones you've created them. Or you can delete them but the BG graphics stay in atlas forever. The only way to have no extra huge bg images in my atlas is to create a completely new project and replace the graphics in the "dark clouds" and the other default background layer and never delete them.

This is very bad.... and Still doesn't solve my problem. Really would not like to throw 7 days of work down the drain because of an "feature" like this.

4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Can you do it manually? On a Mac you can use a program like Pacifist (it's shareware but I don't remember how many times you can use it in trial version). Open the bbdoc and go to the image folder. Search for your images and delete it there. Then try to optimize in Buildbox again...

This is just an idea how to resolve it if it doesn't work like it should in Buildbox. No idea if it works or not. So please try it with a copy of your bbdoc and keep a backup somewhere else if anything goes wrong.

I suppose there are a lot of other file explorers out there and Windows must have even more.

5. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Hey guys, I just did a few quick tests and the problem is not quite that simple. I had no issue deleting a background and having it removed from the atlas. So there must be a few other conditions to trigger the issue. This should be an easy fix, but please send your trouble BBDOCs to support@buildbox.com so we can try to find the conditions under which this is happening and we can correct it.

6. VectologyGames

Sent. Request number #47999

7. Ged

Ged Boxer

Thanks, i'll try that. I'll post here on monday if I got it to work.

8. Ged

Ged Boxer

Thanks for replying.

So if you create a new default game project, delete the basic background elements and optimize the atlasses.. the bg images get deleted? It sure aint doing it for me. Tried with both my surface pro 4 and my work pc which is a beast.

9. bentforktech

bentforktech Avid Boxer

I am having the same problem. I will contact support with my BBDOC.

10. ian_jones

ian_jones Boxer

I am having the same issue. I have one defunct background image (an eye bleeding orange color only used while building levels) that I can't get rid of. I've been through every UI scene and world making sure that it's not used anywhere, but I can't get it out of the atlases.

11. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Ok, this is weird but I might found a workaround:

So I have created a new project from scratch, default settings. Added background, then deleted it, and Atlas still have the image. Even after hitting the Optimization button. Even after selecting "Remove Unused Images" from Tools menu.

However, when I just go to Mind Map editor, and check Atlas, the background is gone! Could you guys please confirm that this work out for you?

12. bentforktech

bentforktech Avid Boxer

13. Ged

Ged Boxer

Not for me either.

14. nico

nico Boxer

Hey guys I'm having the same issue as well. I opened a support ticket and they're working on a fix. But in the meantime, has anyone found a good work around? @Christoph I tried using Pacifist but I can't seem to actually delete the files. I can only extract them.

15. rebelwax

rebelwax Boxer

I'm getting this issue also. I can't remove "DarkClouds" that's used in all of the presets. I even deleted every single world and UI to see if there was one causing the issue. Nope... still won't delete.

16. VectologyGames

Christoph and rebelwax like this.
  17. rebelwax

rebelwax Boxer

Thanks @VectologyGames! This seems to work until they get that bug patched up.

18. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

Hi, I tested the latest version (2.2.3) and if you let me erase the background, you must enter each scene and delete one by one the background.
    I show a tutorial.

If someone wants to give me a license ...

As always, if someone wants my help, PM

19. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Sean from support told me yesterday that this will be fixed in BB 2.3

20. VectologyGames

This does not always solve the issue. I deleted everything and it still would not remove the background.