Reward Video button like SKY ketchapp app

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by darren, Oct 22, 2015.

1. darren

darren Avid Boxer

I know SKY was built with a future version of BB but it's got to be possible (right?) to show an "earn coins by watching this video" button???

Buildbox > Help > Documentation is for 1.3.3 and I my test didn't show the button on game over screen

2. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Setup an Action Button to reward coins and use it with a Purchase Button set to Purchase Method -> Rewarded Video.

superjack765 and Jamie like this.
  3. darren

darren Avid Boxer

Thanks Andy, that was helpful and I got it to work :)

Anyone else want to play with this:

• you can set it to "Buy and Use" (so that it activates)
    • Set Visibility Threshold to zero (has to do with refills and not applicible in this case) If you set to something other than zero it won't show up.
    • Set Interval to a number like 5 and the button will show up every 5th time

4. darren

darren Avid Boxer

I just realized the "earn coins by watching this video" button shows up even if you don't have an internet connection. Would be super polished if the button didn't show up if you didn't have internet access. (Feature request :)

(SKY game doesn't show the earn buttons when you have no internet)

5. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

There is still an advantage of the no-internet scenario @darren : Having the button there may encourage them to go connect to the internet so they can get the reward. Maybe they turn off their internet connectivity, and then they say "well, dang, I want the reward," and then they go put it back on, all because of that button!

Christoph likes this.
  6. darren

darren Avid Boxer

I was thinking the average user won't realize that the button doesn't work because they don't have internet on. Granted it's not a typical situation as you usually have access to the internet. Here's a fun casual game that allows you ONE continue if you watch a video: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nom-cat-endless-feeding-frenzy/id969934912?mt=8 and that continue button doesn't show up if you have no internet.

As developers brace for the indie apocalypse, and race for the bottom, it seems a very popular monetization plan is have 1) no interruption ads and opt for voluntary viewing of ads 2) cosmetic/character upgrades via IAP / currency

7. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

I think I get it, but I still worry that we are overlooking something: How will they know the option is there if they have the internet off all the time, for whatever reason (maybe the purposefully choose to have it off, or maybe they just don't know it is off) ?
    I am not very worried about video rewards. They don't force themselves upon users like other ads do.
    I am not really worried about the "indie apocalypse." This seems like a term created and used by programmers angry about new tools being used that lower the barrier to game development, and it seems like the "apocalypse" part is supposed to be scary. There's really nothing scarier than making a really terrible game - that is a financial apocalypse waiting to happen. If people continue to make good games that are new models of gameplay, then there is really not too much to fear - yes it may get harder to get featured, but there are still other options for getting the word out about a game. Further, this is a GLOBAL marketplace, not a local one. There's no single app store; the US app store is only one among many. There's a lot of opportunity to have one's game played by people around the world. Plus, as more people get into designing and developing games themselves, this only expands gamer culture itself. As a game dev, I go and play other games. I don't just make a game from some mysterious secluded ivory tower and then come back and put it on the marketplace. I think this will become a movement, not just the game-maker movement, but the expansion of the game-player movement. It is not an apocalypse, it is a renaissance that will make it so that many, rather than just a few, individuals get to play roles in this movement. Plus, a key part of the fun of games is the novelty, surprise, curiosity about what is next, and perceptual arousal of good visual and auditory design - so long as game designers keep innovating in these aspects of the fun of games, people will always still come back to play... The "indie apocalypse" reduces to programmers being frustrated that (1) the barrier has been lowered for innovating in games and (2) others' innovations in games will attract people away from addiction to these programmers' own games. I worry that "Indie apocalypse" is just a poor way to frame the marketplace opportunities open to all game designers/developers right now.

playsgames6666 likes this.
  8. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I just am deciding if I want to take away the interstitial ads completely and go only with video ads. Does that make sense? Or is it a bad idea overall for how Buildbox games work right now? In Crossy Roads and other games it worked great, but they had a complete other system than the one that is possible with Buildbox... This are very difficult decisions to make.

9. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

@Christoph It depends on the value of your game and whether or not (and the extent to which) ads will take away from the value of your game. For example, many published games (ball jump, bounce) effectively balance the set up, controls, and gameplay with the opportunity to put an ad stream at the bottom of the screen. That ad stream really don't bother me when I play either game, but it should be noted that I play both of those games on an iPad, and less often on my iphone. Still, I can play these on the iphone without "accidentally" tapping the ad at the bottom. If I want to, I have the option to pay to remove the ads. So, for these 2 games, the ad at the bottom does not take away from the value of the game.
    I think it is clear that rewarded video ads do enhance the value of the game, rather than take away from it.
    Both forms of ads are possible in the same game, but the decision to include both forms should consider the value of the game itself and the relationship of the ads to that value.
    Interstitial ads that play after every _#_ player fails can potentially be annoying, but some players keep going anyway. The decision about this type of ad is the toughest ad decision to make, in my opinion.

Christoph likes this.
  10. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Which is the one I have to make. No problems with the banner ads and the video ad in the game I'm trying to make. But I just can't decide about the interstitials. I have it now set to an interval of 8 and am thinking to change it to 10 or take it away completely. I hate it when games have the feeling that the developer only makes it because of the money. But at the end, money has to be made... The question is actually: how many gamers will stop playing because of the (too many) ads and therefore how much money you will lose vs. how much money you will make with the remaining users and interstitials on. Though one.

11. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Note: my game also has the option to pay for skipping a level and to purchase gems... so in fact, it already has a lot of ways it will be monetizing. Plus the banner and the video ads. I do also gift gems so not everything is money driven.

12. krishnakrrish1990

krishnakrrish1990 Boxer

After keeping reward button for video......how to increase coins to 20%....in which field we need to modify to increase coins after watching video....help me out please.

13. HungaryBoy

HungaryBoy Boxer

Hi,
    Maybe you can try to increase Interval of appearing Reward Video Ad button, making Interval of HeyZap Video Ad appearing every 3-rd of 4-th or 5-th time on Game Over Scene, or where you have addd Reward Video Button to be.
    This can be setup where you setup also Purchase Method - Rewarded Video its above that options.

14. avgaqbldqg

avgaqbldqg Boxer

My question is I have ads set up and watch video ads for coins works but i must have messed up somewhere because its not giving coins it will show the video ads but not giving coins. in setting could you please explain in detail how to set up the actions to receive coins from watching the ads bee at this for over 8 hours with no luck . Thanks in advance
    Jim

15. TheViseOne

TheViseOne Boxer

Setting this up in BB is easy

First step: create action(coin) which adds xx amount of coins when pressed/used. You can do this with any random image Screen Shot 2016-03-13 at 03.12.04.png
    appearance chance does not mean anything here!

Second step: On the screen where you want the button add purchase button(you must drag in your button animation!)
    Screen Shot 2016-03-13 at 03.14.14.png
    Remember to rename your rewarded video action so that you know which one to select here! You want to know if it works? You can do that in BB. At least it adds coins in my game(I haven't set it up to work on device!)
    I hope this helps

16. Gregory Storm

Gregory Storm Avid Boxer

Ask yourself this question: "Is this a hobby or a business?" Your path should become extremely clear based on the answer. Your question of "how many gamers will stop playing" is counterproductive because it's almost impossible to know why a user stops playing your game. Especially a Buildbox game with zero analytics and doesn't have a way for you to know anything about player patterns, usage, retention, levels played, etc. so stop worrying about loosing them. You should be more concerned about the reviews.

Here's my attitude when it comes to whether I put ads in my games at a frequency that makes me money while maintaining good reviews. The ad per game over number is between 7 and 10 depending on how quickly you end the game -- generally no more than one video interstitial per minute played.

What I do has value. If it didn't you wouldn't have downloaded my game and you damn sure wouldn't be playing it long enough to see an ad. If you see and ad and are so turned off that you don't want to play the game anymore, simply tap and hold my game icon on your home screen and when the icon wiggles, tap the X. See you. Bye!

Movie theaters don't apologize when they charge you $14 for a ticket, $6 for popcorn, $5 for a soda and then make you watch ads for 15 minutes before the trailers start. They are a business and the moviegoers understand.

I'm not going to apologize for running a business that makes money. The whole Indie Developer / Starving Artist mentality of not making money is quaint for a hobby but for those that treat their art & creativity like a business, they'll find that most game players, like moviegoers, understand that being entertained has value.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    volcank likes this.
  17. FoxSquare

FoxSquare Boxer

@TheViseOne Can we do something so that the Reward Video only show up only when the ad is available. (Sometimes the ad does not load, or bad internet connection)

18. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

@FoxSquare We are already doing that, the button should not appear if there is no video set to show.

19. FoxSquare

FoxSquare Boxer

@Andy Thank you for responding, In my case (Using BB1.3.5) The button always show up the first time (then counts to interval i made) And mostly it does not show any ad on the first time. Sometimes it also does not show ad after interval. The button just disappears after touching. Hopefully that will be already fixed in BB2 :)

20. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

yes, 1.3.6 and 2.0 should work correctly.