Make A Book, Comic Or Choose Your Path Game Using Bb + .bbdoc

Discussion in 'Promotional' started by AppNasty, Apr 28, 2016.

1. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

So i attempted to make a comic/book app with BB. works a charm. You would just need to tweak some things of course. Mainly adjust your png images to fit screen properly. No in game scenes are here, just menus. You do NOT need to link each page to anything. Just creating them, they will show up in your navigation JUMP BACK menu. Also you could make a chose your own path game as well doing this. Would take time of course but you could do it for sure. Im also using BB to make a music app for a local musician. Biography, and even playable songs. Oh and graphic novels. Using the the frame animator thingy you can get those cool slow scrolls across the comics pages as the music is rolling effects like digital graphic novels do lol. BB roxors.

Why make your book using BB?
    Well, if you plan to self publish to Amazon etc, people can buy your book...then have something like several weeks to return it for a full refund. And they get to keep the book generally. Using buildbox to turn your book/comic into an APP prevents this. Not only that but you can monetize using ads. Make it free with ads like we do with games.

If i where to request features to help make this even better for book design and not just games:

1. Make it so you can SCROLL up or down on menus. Youre stuck with whats on screen, if we had option to scroll up or down, we could easily make better quality books.
    2. When adding TEXT, you can add as much as you want, but only on 1 line. So for a text book, you would have to manually add each line. would take 20 years lol. best way i can figure out how to add paragraphs is to use online text to png converter. but even then quality is low and hard to read. small. So making it where we can paste in text on multiple lines would solve that, versus one line 10 miles long. And would help keep our apps less then a few MBs as we would be using text and not have to use images.

Anyways, feedback welcome. Main menu image is my own artwork.
    .BBDOC Example: (made with official 2.2.6, dont know if it will load right with 1.3.6, but you could still make em) https://www.OneHitGamerStudios.com
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  2. miguelnievas

miguelnievas Boxer

Excellent IDEA... great job.. I'm downloading the example right now. Thanks a lot

AppNasty likes this.
  3. VectologyGames

VectologyGames Serious Boxer

Numi's Quest will have a few comic book pages!

AppNasty likes this.
  4. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Yah I didn't even think about that....you could have comic scenes through out the game...story mode style lol.

5. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Bb doesn't have to just be for games. Right now I'm designing a few business apps for some local businesses. General information, links, also i think i figured out how to add video to your games...but no sounds. And shouldnt be very long....maybe typical gif image length. Unless low quality then you're good. So, say your character is running in a city scene and in the background you want a billboard playing a short 10 second video on loop...all you have to do is use a video to image or video to gif maker. Once converted, use a gif to png image maker. It will strip it down to each individual image frame. Then just make a decoration in bg look like a billboard, then add a new object in front of it, which will be the actual video playing. Take all disected images and drag and drop them into objects image. Bam, now when you run by, there's a video playing.

6. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Tried to edit post to add this info in...forum kept giving error. sent to webmaster.
    Anyways, I figured out how to make it look like you collected an object in a multi choice game. Just make your collectable item, say a relic of some sort, place it on scene. Then drop a character in the scene with ground just under item. make both ground and player invisible by setting opacity to 0. Now add to in game gui menu one large button that takes up entire screen, just above bottom controls. Have your invisible character juuuuusssstttt right next to collectible item. set controls to propel player forward fast. This way, when player taps the collectable item, they technically are making and invisible characters run into a coin pickup. adding said object to their count.
    [​IMG]

pfg215 and superjack765 like this.
  7. Phillip Kung

Phillip Kung Boxer

You've brought up some really great insights with this post. I agree that with the suggestions you mentioned the possibilities become endless in BB2 for books, b2b apps as well things like strategy guides. So it's a +1 for me for those feature requests.

AppNasty likes this.
  8. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Make It an all in one app box. People would abandon other softwares and flock over to bb.

9. Simon Crack

Simon Crack Avid Boxer

Love it!

superjack765 and AppNasty like this.
  10. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

I would love to see people making choose your own path games using bb. Of course each scenes bg would have to be fresh art. Perhaps I shall be the one lol.

11. superjack765

superjack765 Avid Boxer

wow! maybe can do some Visual novel game

12. CuteFox

CuteFox Boxer

Amazing idea.

13. Rawnwolf

Rawnwolf Boxer

That's a really great idea! I love it. I really want to try a choose your own adventure type game. Can you share a file on how to make it look like you collected an object in a multi choice game? I had trouble following what you wrote above. Cool artwork in Relics too!

14. brakewind723

brakewind723 Serious Boxer

Love telltale series of games, would love to see more decision making games in the app community!

15. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Yah give me some time and ill work up more in depth tutorials etc.

16. fez_94

fez_94 Boxer

How do you flip pages? I click on "next" and it takes me back to the main menu. I tried changing the function but it only shows a back jump function and all other functions dont seem to work either.

17. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

It was made in older bb. Buggy. Best bet is to change function to default. Then back out to menus and link default to next page. I have a better one on here...with scrollable pages. Look for it...probably on page 3 or so.

fez_94 likes this.
  18. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I don't like the scrollable pages very much. They don't feel very natural. You would need to be able to zoom as well to make this work. The original felt better overall in my opinion. :D

19. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Right on. I can fix all issues and upload a better version if you like.

20. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Updated first post with newer version link, fixed issues. Also optimized from 4.5MB down to 1.9MB.

fez_94 and Christoph like this.