Sounds causes game to lag/stutter

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by defonten, Apr 9, 2016.

1. defonten

defonten Avid Boxer

HI,

I have an endless runner type of game and when I export to iOS everything's fine. But when exporting to Android - every sound being played makes a game lag/stutter noticeably. I have a standard mp3s.. Any ideas?

@Andy pls

2. defonten

defonten Avid Boxer

Reported to support.

3. defonten

defonten Avid Boxer

Tried lower birates beginning from 128 and tried making Stereo to Mono and Joint - visually still stutters/lags on Android.
    Attaching a link to short video of the way it looks on a real device: https://we.tl/IZPazNSsC5

Any advice will be much appreciated!

4. jigglybean

jigglybean Avid Boxer

How large is the file? What version of Android is your test device running?

5. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Are you sure its the sounds? Did you try to take them out and check again?

6. defonten

defonten Avid Boxer

I use 1 music mp3 track (4.5 mb) and three mp3 sounds approx 10kb each.. On my Galaxy S4 device Android version is 4.4.2 KitKat.. What might be the case?!

7. defonten

defonten Avid Boxer

Yes, I even made a special button turn on/off sounds in menu to test it, when I turn off sounds - game runs smoothly..

8. jigglybean

jigglybean Avid Boxer

Check that your SDK is support 4.4.2 KitKat. If not, download those files then try again

But if you google search, it appears stuttering sound is an issue on that device

9. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

I have seen a couple people mention a similar issue, I think it's Android only. I'm not sure we have duplicated it yet. If you have a sample file to send to support it would be much appreciated. If you already sent one then thank you! It could be an encoding issue or a problem with certain hardware or something else.

10. defonten

defonten Avid Boxer

How do I check this? I'm using Eclipse, attaching a screenshot of SDK.

Well, actually sound is not stuttering, the sound is CAUSING visual lags when being played, so I think it might not be the case.. anyways, other store games play ok on this device so there must be a problem on my side.

Attached Files:

11. defonten

defonten Avid Boxer

Hey Andy, yep, I already got a response from support confirming this to be sound optimisation problem being addressed by the team. I really hope to get the fix for this soon as possible, cos obviously I have to hold on the release because of this problem..

Thank you too, Andy

12. jigglybean

jigglybean Avid Boxer

Tick the box for the API's you want to support but if I am not mistake, BB supports down to 5.0.1? I could be wrong. No harm trying though.

13. defonten

defonten Avid Boxer

Thanks for the tips! But unf. no - it's still stutters. Waiting for the official fix from dev guys.

14. defonten

defonten Avid Boxer

@Andy pls,
    and also support guys, please don't forget about this problem as it's not solved and it's preventing me from releasing my game. Thanks

P.S. I wrote to support but nevertheless it's better to leave it here too.. I'm really waiting for the fix.

15. Kadri246

Kadri246 Avid Boxer

I had the same problem with my S6 Edge and what solved my problem was to factory reset my phone. It must be a Samsung issue.

16. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

not a solution a customer will consider, I'm sure...

defonten likes this.
  17. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

@defonten
    I we've received a ticket on this issue so yes we will be looking into it. However I'm not sure if we have a definitive example on this so if you have not already please open a support ticket (support@buildbox.com) so we can collect your data on the issue. If you have opened a support ticket already please let me know the number and I will make sure we have what we need.

18. Kadri246

Kadri246 Avid Boxer

@heathclose Not saying that it should be considered. Just pointing out the fact that this seems to be Samsung specific. Tested it on other brands yesterday and didn't get that issue.

19. defonten

defonten Avid Boxer

@Andy
    It must be either Ticket ID #44710 or #44712. We discussed this issue with Sean already and I've already sent him all needed files to reproduce this issue - bbdoc file, source mp3 files and even video capture of actual device. Please let me know if you need anything else and please keep me informed as I'm really on hold with this. Thanks a lot.

20. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

OK great, thanks. That is indeed the issue we currently have open. I had it scheduled to look at after 2.0 (appears to be an issue in both BB1 and BB2) but I bumped it up so we can at least take a look this week and see if there is something we can do earlier.