Expectation setting and open conversation on what our true expectations should be

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by brdchn25, Mar 29, 2016.

1. brdchn25

brdchn25 Boxer

Well, I had to think why was I getting so upset over items. This was to be a nice hobby for me. I went back to my thoughts and decided to do a little search. I guess this is why I get frustrated with the system. I do have to apologize to @Andy and @TreySmith for my overboard comments yesterday.

I was to expect weekly updates per @TreySmith
    I was to expect Bi-weekly updates per @Andy
    I was to expect a manual in early Feb @Andy
    I was to expect an official release date in Jan, Feb and March. (Different BB sources)

I told myself no big deal. I will start working on BB2.0 when it first came out I can wait a month or even two. I mean it's to be an epic software (right).
    To make sure I am not making these comments up here are:

upload_2016-3-29_13-19-34.png

upload_2016-3-29_13-19-42.png
    upload_2016-3-29_13-19-51.png
    upload_2016-3-29_13-35-21.png

So what the point of the post.

When can we expect the following per the post made by BB employees.
    1. Release date (Moving Target) Its been three months there needs to be a date. (Week of ______)
    2. Manual This was promised late Jan - early Feb. It is now end of March early April? (X weeks after Release)
    3. Weekly updates? Right now it looks like monthly updates. Not really what was promised.

You could say I need to write to support. Well that would be ticket number.
    #44326 #43327 #44331 I am sure someone from support will get back to me one day.

Let's start a real conversation on what the real expectations are to be. This will eliminate frustrations of the community. Please don't feel that I am trying to attack someone. I am only trying to get BB to actually start taking some of their early commitments seriously or this is their chance to set new commitments and expectations for the BB2.0 community. I would really appreciate new expectations for all of us.

Please feel free to set real expectations for us. We can live with whatever you tell us. Just don't leave us hanging out there with false hopes.
    Thank you for hearing me out and I hope this becomes a positive for the whole community to have the same level of expectations.

manak4u and Nick H like this.
  2. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

I like turtles. That's a true expectation.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  3. brdchn25

brdchn25 Boxer

I like turtles and rabbits also. Just trying to focus someone on expectations.

It's not like I came up with dates, times and current expectations all by myself. It would be really nice to see a GANTT chart with some high-level expectations before the next BETA or release. This way we can follow progress. It would be very easy for Andy to post a thread at the top of the forum and give us a short daily or bi-daily update that only he could post to. It would eliminate all the back and forth about when and what is coming.

It is to be an honor to work on the BETA with BB team, but we are not really part of their team.

4. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

A FYI, just for the record...

Buildbox 2 beta date releases...
    Beta 1 - Jan 12
    Beta 2 - Jan 26 (14 days)
    Beta 3 - Feb 12 (17 days)
    Beta 4 - Mar 08 (25 days)
    Beta 5 - Currently 21 days and counting!

Nick H and brdchn25 like this.
  5. brdchn25

brdchn25 Boxer

Thank you!!!

6. Sean Buildbox

Sean Buildbox Serious Boxer

Hey Guys, while I can't give specific dates, I can tell you that we're planning on Beta5 being our last beta. After that we will be preparing for gold. Since it is the last beta, we are working hard to include as much as possible. As always, we'll post information here as we get closer.

Kadri246, andre_sprs and AndyG like this.
  7. brdchn25

brdchn25 Boxer

Thanks Sean.

Can we not post information when we get closer? I would dislike very much to get an e-mail from @TreySmith saying BB2.0 is here and then find myself looking for a date and there is no date available. When I received this e-mail below, I told myself well BETA5 must be out due to the bugs are too many for Trey to finalizing an App. Answer "No" BETA5 not out for us, but is out for Trey according to his post.

Message not received very well. If he would have said, BETA5 will be out no later then Friday. The buzz about BB2.0 BETA5 would be ecstatic.
    upload_2016-3-29_18-4-25.png

Can you only post information when BB knows something is actually a set in stone?

It would increase you customer satisfaction. upload_2016-3-29_18-1-1.png

A clear defined plan is the first step to a winning plan.

8. dougsavage1

dougsavage1 Boxer

you know what? I kind of agree. I was ok the first couple months but now I'm getting uneasy. I'm paying monthly and every month that I wait is more money I'm losing out on. I was under the expectation that March would be the month that everything would definitely be wrapped up. I completely understand running into issues, both personal and professional but as a customer I feel a bit neglected. I've always tried to stay positive but the longer I wait , the more motivation I lose and the more I feel like I might have made a bad investment. No clear dates give us no commitments and that's enough to feel uneasy about because we have nothing to hold accountable.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    Nick H and AndyG like this.
  9. Nick H

Nick H Boxer

-

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  10. brdchn25

brdchn25 Boxer

Guys, let's keep this on the positive side. I feel your frustrations and got in a little trouble with my rants. Not that I really care about getting in trouble.

I feel BB2.0 will be EPIC.

I am glad that I am not the one that called them out about "The Pit" and "Sky" . Both made with BB2.0 according to @TreySmith but according to @Andy the BB team only uses the BETA that we have access to. The two things don't add up.

I guess they are taking plays from the App Marketing. This is not App Marketing this is Software that has a fee. Two different worlds.

It would be nice for someone to step up and start taking responsibility for all the things that were said in the past and give us a clear future.

11. bentforktech

bentforktech Avid Boxer

I am bummed it has taken as long as it has. I have made 2 games with BB1.3.5 and they are just fine for what they are. My skill is getting better etc..

I have been working on a game in 2.0 betas and come across many bugs. I expect that with beta software. I think the guys did not realize what an undertaking it is to actually make a huge improvement on the game engine. I am not making excuses for them by any means. I just see it for what it is.

I am an audio engineer by day. With the software I use I typically wait for the CS1 release before I update. That generally means most bugs have been worked out. I have been a beta tester for plug ins etc.. It takes a long time to release a stable version of something.

I hope that soon I will have a full working version of BB2.0 so that the game I am making with it will be able to be released. It is a huge improvement so far to what I can do with BB1. I am patiently waiting and hope the final software just kills it.

AndyG likes this.
  12. minibuilder65

minibuilder65 Avid Boxer

Yeah, I am getting quite annoyed as well. This because the game as I am working on is fine but I cant post it because the features I am using have some bugs and are not working as they should. I have already contacted support and they said that it will be included in the next Beta. I will be extremely frustrated if the bugs I have asked for fixing are not going to be fixed. As I am waiting for the Beta to finish up my game and the the only thing stopping me from finishing it are the bugs. However I do realize how long it is taking for the Betas to come out, and hopefully it will be released by the end of this week as I have been waiting for a really long time just to get those bugs fixed.

13. Kadri246

Kadri246 Avid Boxer

Software releases can be a pain in the butt, especially when you iron out one problem and it creates another. I've been watching buildbox for a few months and didn't buy until I was satisfied with what the trial offered and what 2.0 videos showcased. But yes, sometimes as a web developer I experience problems where you fix one error and sometimes that fix creates another or even more. Maybe if their deadline isn't met, @TreySmith will surprise us by bumping our subscriptions to the next level, or expire the one year subscriptions one year exact after the Golden build release date.:rolleyes:

AndyG likes this.
  14. minibuilder65

minibuilder65 Avid Boxer

@Kadri246 As good as that last bit sounds, it is very very unlikely.

15. Kadri246

Kadri246 Avid Boxer

Wishful thinking on my part, but it might be what's best for business. :D

16. brdchn25

brdchn25 Boxer

@Kadri246 and @minibuilder65 I can almost say that this will never happen. As a sales manager this happens often in my line of work. Normally as a sign of goodwill. I deal with a larger budget then I am sure Buildbox does. I don't really think at this time that they owe us anything except answers.

I to fully understand that this process is not easy and there are set-backs. I dealing with that all the time. If I communicated expectations like the Buildbox team has on multiple occasions giving multiple different answers over the past 4 months as this all started in Dec 2015. (https://www.facebook.com/buildboxofficial/posts/933748190046287) December 10th according to facebook.

I would guarantee that I would have a post at the top of this page giving the current expectations and keep my customers informed (within limits) with daily or bi-daily updates.

I know that I would not be sending out e-mails showing how I can still work on a project when the rest of the community is struggling.

17. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

No big goal comes quickly or easily. The team is doing their best to make this software even better than they were planning on making it. This means it will not be out as early as planned obviously. The best way to help them is to continue testing and reporting any bugs. Focus on positive activities guys because negative ones will not help anyone ;)

AndyG, reegannaidoo and heathclose like this.
  18. manak4u

manak4u Avid Boxer

@Machine Rises , everyone wants to look on brighter side, but it is a bit frustrating to complete projects. Just like @minibuilder65 and many others i also have been stuck with bugs in my project. But the saddest part is this thread.

you know I cannot buy that the community admins and moderators have not watched this thread. And no one has bothered to step up and help ease this community a bit. I agree with @brdchn25 that all that they owe us right now are answers, but I dont see it happening it either right now and feel that it is being ignored.

I hope for the best though, as some of you may say that i am in a honeymoon phase with BB, but i know that it isn't that easy to make a software.

but would really appreciate if someone from the admins address the community. thats what the thread was for right?

19. reegannaidoo

reegannaidoo Boxer

Hey Guys,

I feel the same and I'm pretty sure the majority of BB2 user's will stand by me when I say that we were extremely patient and accommodating with all the issues.
    To be frank... we purchased an "early access license to BB2 and from the BB2 marketing it clearly stated that BB2 will be officially released after one(1) month of early access and therefore was the only reason I purchased BB2 and was willing to risk the operating cost for just a month of "early access", but to my dismay tomorrow is April and I'm not sure we will even get BETA 5 tomorrow considering its April fools day :)
    All jokes aside, I did not opt-in to pay BB to beta test the software and that is also not mentioned anywhere in the EULA agreement, but because I believe in @TreySmith & @BB, I overlooked the additional cost.
    Just to put this into context, my company is brand new and our first game is on-hold because we are waiting for this release urgently, losing $99 isn't giving me sleepless nights, but every month wasted is additional operating cost incurred on a single game and now I'm not even sure the game will break even.

@TreySmith please believe us when we say that you have our complete support and all we need right now is accurate info on a release date, so everyone can plan accordingly.

Have a awesome day,
    Reegan
    REEALE (PTY) LTD - Dream big to achieve big!

brdchn25 likes this.
  20. brdchn25

brdchn25 Boxer