Secret behind GAMES!

Discussion in 'Game Marketing' started by hunttrader, Mar 25, 2016.

1. hunttrader

hunttrader Boxer

What is up guys! Let us talk about marketing and what big companies know about that!!!

I really think there is som secret behind games marketing and we dont know that because if we knew it
    we should all successed in games.

I heared that if your game cost you about 1000 dollar so you have to spend 3000 dollar on marketing and building your brand, what do you think about that?

2. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

3. hunttrader

hunttrader Boxer

4. Wings n Armor

Wings n Armor Avid Boxer

I do believe that there is a bottle of secret sauce going around that really helps the marketing of specific apps. I also believe that many have different ROI as they market their apps. Of course people will not give their specific recipe for making the award winning product. Sometimes I think people just meet the right people to team with when it comes to properly market and channel PR.

hunttrader likes this.
  5. hunttrader

hunttrader Boxer

I can just agree with you, I am trying to analyze the market every day and every day it comes very silly games on the toplist
    People will not tell you and me about theire secret and strategy.

6. VectologyGames

VectologyGames Serious Boxer

THE SECRET IS FIND A PUBLISHER.

7. ramiucef

ramiucef Avid Boxer

more likely find a publisher how will be interested in you game if you are lucky enough.

hunttrader likes this.
  8. Wings n Armor

Wings n Armor Avid Boxer

This is part of the job. There is more than just finding a publisher.

9. Wings n Armor

Wings n Armor Avid Boxer

All I can say is just dont give up and dont let people pimp you out of your money also. I am not saying don't invest but do research and don't burn bridges as you continue your search for the right folks to promote your games. If you keep seeking you will find.

10. VectologyGames

Could you elaborate? This is the route Trey Smith, MachineRises, Deadcool aps and other game publishers take.

11. Wings n Armor

Wings n Armor Avid Boxer

@VectologyGames @ramiucef @hunttrader

@TreySmith has given us an amazing tool that gives us opportunities that most of us did not have. He and his team have laid a firm foundation for us to approach the game development business. What I am saying is no one will tell you all the details of this business especially the marketing and PR side. There is more going on that we all have to observe and become more knowledgeable. So that means we have to do our research, keep good communications with fellow devs, marketers, advertisers etc. We must build positive relationships as much as possible.The entertainment industry is the same way. It's not about how good your game is or how good you are as a app developer but the connections you have. If that specific publisher has an excellent marketing strategy then the app will flourish!
    If you do more research you will see that several small app developers are finding creative ways to make their product known and reach the top of the charts. I dont have all of the answers. It still amazes me how folks without publishers are seen in the trending apps, beating large corporations and hitting the top of charts. Keep looking and you will see some interesting ROI.
    Everyone wants to find a publisher but just like @Machine Rises rises posted-one of the hardest task was he had to find a publisher that believed in his game just as much as he did.
    The problem is many app devs are creating games but cannot get publishers to find interest in their games. Many of them just want to make a little money off of their investments.

If a miner finds gold he will not give the location of the gold to everyone.

12. VectologyGames

Realistically speaking, a shot with a publisher seems to be the end game. We have to be honest with ourselves; our games need to be publisher ready.

bentforktech and Rebel Studios like this.
  13. Wings n Armor

Wings n Armor Avid Boxer

14. Wings n Armor

Wings n Armor Avid Boxer

#1 free app last week Damn Daniel App no publisher

15. VectologyGames

Yes, this is true. But for every Damn Daniel, we have 1,000 Color Switches (publisher backed projects) Look at the charts, it says it all.

16. Wings n Armor

Wings n Armor Avid Boxer

Love what you are doing with Buildbox
    However we reach success!
    It doesn't matter how we reach the pot of gold as long as we get there.
    I am open to any way to success. With publisher no publisher etc.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  17. hunttrader

hunttrader Boxer

Thanks man really good link :)

Wings n Armor likes this.
  18. hunttrader

hunttrader Boxer

Guys!
    I really believe that only people who got their app on top list know the secret.
    You see every day good games on app store and google play with very little download and many times you see also
    silly games who hit the top list and get millions of download.

Believe it or not there is some secret we don't know yet, I really hope that someone who have games on top list can share with us how they
    hit the top list.

Wings n Armor likes this.
  19. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

This is one way to do it and what I think most are looking to do:

1) Build a polished game that people want to play
    2) Find the right team to help publish your game
    3) Create a winning marketing strategy

Several have already shared what they have done in more detail.

Unfortunately there are a many right and wrong ways to do each step, there is no step by step guide that is going to get you there. That is where YOU come in. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication, but if you put in the time and effort you will eventually be rewarded. Anyone who has made a top game could tell you the exact steps they took and it mostly would not matter, you still need to create your own path. Every situation is going to be different.

If I ask 100 millionaires how they made their first million, each answer would be different. Yes, I would have insight into how it's done, but I'm still going to have to go through a lot of trial and error to get myself there. I would need to research, read books, network with others and most importantly try different ideas. Someday things will start clicking.

The secret is that there is not really a secret.

20. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

Avoiding IP infringement is probably step #0 before the #1-3 steps described above. If a developer/designer wants to keep that money earned, avoid IP infringement. For example, it may seem like a winning marketing strategy to name a game Luigi, but even if an app store lets it get published, a company can still legally enforce their IP. Some companies (some publishers too) do the Madrid Protocol for maximizing the international reach of their IP (the main relevant IP here is Trademarks, but Copyrights should not be violated either if someone doesn't want a reskin or rip-off puled down with a DMCA). I think one of the best solutions to step #0 here is to just create your own IP. This is what I am working on, and why I have not published yet. However, this is perhaps most desirable if you want to have characters in games, and stories. For games like Geometry Dash, they did not get trademarks for characters (and did not need to), but they could have trademarked the game title (did they?).

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016