Event Observer & Session Coins Setup Check.

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Phill Mason, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Hey folks, I'm trying a game that uses the event observer to watch how many coins are being collected, but I'm not getting the results I was hoping for. If any of you guys have tried this, would you please look over my setup to see what you think? Thanks.
    Gamefield 1 has an Event Observer in UI1 - looking for 30 coins (3 coins x 10).
    Gamefield 2 has an Event Observer in UI2 - looking for 40 coins (4 coins x 10).
    And so on through gamefield 3 and 4 etc.

The issue I'm having is, I cannot seem to get the amount of coins I collect to correspond to the event observer. I'm getting 30 coins on both levels rather than 30 on level 1 and then 40 on level 2. I just played it and level 2 ended when I collected only 1 coin this time, so it's very inconsistent.

Is there a known bug with this setup?
    Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 22.25.29.png

2. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

do those go in the ui? I actually thought they go in your start scene... i dunno o_O

3. Phill Mason

Yup, they go in the UI. I always felt as if they should be in the scene, but I'm sure there are reasons behind it. The Event Observer is only an option in the UI and not available in the scene, hence it forces you to make multiple gamefields and UI's (if you want different observers) as per my image.

heathclose likes this.
  4. todro

todro Avid Boxer

That seems to be the reason because there is no "World Session Coins" but only a "Session Coins" event type, therefore you specifiy an absolut value of coins within the session not a value relative to the world

Might be worth a feature request to have a "World Session Coins" and/or a "Scene Session Coins" event type

Phill Mason likes this.
  5. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

The small test for session coins was in the last release (BETA4)... the next release, and this is initially complete, it's much more fleshed out with some bugs fixed, here is sneak peak as it stands in development:
    https://buildbox.box.com/s/ypphwb9y7s42a1qstu721ppqwiweclc5

Labels are similar in that you can display any score type from any specific world, current world, or a total of all.

6. Phill Mason

This is looking like a nice list of options for the event observer @Andy, cheers.

7. heathclose

guttaavestudios likes this.
  8. Phill Mason

@Andy, I'm struggling to get the event observer to function correctly and I was wondering if you could confirm if I've got it right or not? Thanks.
    In it's simplest form, I shoot an object and a linked coin drops onto my character below, this is how I am able to have a static character at the bottom of the screen, but he still collect coins in order to move onto the next level (world in this case).

I want to collect 2 blue objects in Word 1
    I want to collect 3 green objects in World 2
    I want to collect 4 pink objects in World 3
    And so on.

The event observer in UI 1 is set to 20.00 (as default coin is 10:00) - I shoot 2 x blue and the event observer jumps nicely to World 2.
    The event observer in UI 2 is set to 30.00 (as default coin is 10:00) - I shoot 1 x green and I'm instantly taken to World 3.

This is not how it should be working, any ideas as to why I'm jumping from world 2 to 3 after only shooting 1 green rather than 3?

9. Phill Mason

**Solution**
    Okay, it took me a while to digest what you said @todro, regarding the "World Session Coins", but I get it now, as I've been banging my head against the wall whilst playing around with this all day and getting nowhere. I re-read what you said and I now understand that the Session Coins are accumulative throughout the game until you die.

So in order for me to get
    2 coins in world 1 and
    3 coins in world 2, I need to set
    event observer in UI1 to 2 coins and the
    event observer in UI2 to 5 coins (2 coins + 3 coins = 5 coins) and so on throughout other worlds I add.

I'm not sure what other implications this will introduce down the production-road, but for now, it means I can carry on and build out a few levels (worlds) and actually get my game working as it should be.

Hopefully this will help for anyone else trying to collect session coins and advance to another world using the event observer.

10. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

This is wrong and is fixed in the development version... Session is *SUPPOSED* to be total for that session only. In the next release you can choose total or session.

Phill Mason likes this.
  11. Phill Mason

That'll be handy, thanks. @Andy, any idea how close we are to the next release? Days, weeks?

12. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

We are tackling some of the more critical gameplay and navigation issues right now so we want to get them out to you guys soon... I expect that it will happen this month.

13. mobile_gamegraphics

mobile_gamegraphics Boxer

Just curious - are you enabling a feature or rule to that specific level, that 30 coins need to be collected to proceed? :) Or maybe I misunderstood your goal...

14. Phill Mason

@mobile_gamegraphics, I'm not sure I understand your question. I added an event observer to the UI to watch how many session coins are being collected in that world in order to automatically advance me onto the next world.

15. mobile_gamegraphics

mobile_gamegraphics Boxer

ok :) so Basically you will only let the player to pass if a certain amount of coins are collected?

Phill Mason likes this.
  16. Phill Mason

You got it @mobile_gamegraphics.

17. heathclose

@Phill Mason this is the whole point of a game I'm working on... I reread this thread, and hopefully what @Andy showed in that screenshot will allow this...

world 1: collect 50 coins to move on...
    world 2: collect 50 coins to move on...
    world 3: collect 75 coins to move on...

so on and so forth... however, as session coins works now... i have to set the event observer in world 1 to "50 session coins"... that works as intended... moving on to world 2, I have to set the observer to "100 session coins" and tell the player to collect 50 coins to move on because it is now remembering the 50 from world one (if I set it to 50, the level ends)... now... If they leave the game... and come back... and start on world 2, they are told to collect 50 but the observer is set to 100... sooooooooooo

18. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

@heathclose Yes, this is working for BETA5, Trey is using this heavily for his new game. It works well and has been tested quite a bit at this point... will be in your hands soonish.

Phill Mason likes this.
  19. heathclose

*smiles big*

Phill Mason likes this.
  20. shesh

shesh Avid Boxer

same setup on my win7/32
    it crashes when advancing to the next world