HOW TO CORRECTLY PREPARE TRAILER VIDEOS FOR ITUNES CONNECT

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Wings n Armor, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Wings n Armor

Wings n Armor Avid Boxer

1.) I would love if someone could share the correct way to create trailer videos to upload to (Various sizes if needed) itunes connect for app uploads and screen shots.
    Do I need to make a separate video for all devices.

2.) I also would love it if someone can give options for software that can quickly convert videos or screenshots saving time and energy,

Thanks in advance :)

2. decabol

decabol Boxer

I assume you're using a MAC so you don't need to download anything. Just open Quicktime and select screen recording from drop down menu.
    You can edit, trim after you finished recording. Hope this helps.
    iMovie, which is also installed in MAC, gives you more options to edit your videos.

3. jigglybean

jigglybean Avid Boxer

there should be a link in the developer console on how to make videos. One day Apple will catch up with the rest of the world and use just 1 size fits all format. I will never understand why the process is just so painful to publish on their store with different video and screenshots sizes - just not necessary in 2016.

rizwanashraf and Wings n Armor like this.
  4. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

I tend to agree with you, in the other hand it is also quite easy to automate most of the stuff related to image and video resizing.

rizwanashraf and Wings n Armor like this.
  5. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

If you have a Mac there is an app for this: https://itunes.apple.com/app/movie-resize-for-app-previews/id1017708570?mt=12
    I read somewhere else that you can also use iMovie with different export templates.

The thing is that you record your video with the biggest available resolution which right now would be an iPhone 6 plus or 6s plus. Then edit it the way you want without changing resolution or aspect ratio. And then send it to the app mentioned above.

6. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Wings n Armor and ruhm64 like this.
  7. Eric H

Eric H Boxer

**Edited: @Christoph was accurate in saying use the largest resolution device as a main video, and resize accordingly:
    http://bit.ly/1SSgJ5A

Use iMovie to record and edit your videos, it has a specific App Preview category. If you record the screen of an iPad, it will be the correct resolution to upload on the iPad screenshots and video section, and so forth for other devices.

Here is some additional reading:
    http://apple.co/Ru8EXg
    http://apple.co/1LG77G5

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  8. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Yes you can. Apple only wants the aspect ratio and resolution to be correct. If the video has letterbox there is absolutely no problem. That's what the app I linked to previously is all for. It would be insane to record the exact same action several times for each device + edit it again and again + to do that you must own each device. Imagine a game with level progress and AI that gets the user not once to the same spot, or an action game where the path is very free. It would be impossible to make the same trailer for all devices the same. Nobody does that because it would be a nightmare. Just record it with a 1080p device and crop/letterbox from there.

Note:
    The screenshots are better made in an actual device because they are actual previews of what the game looks like. But the video is "only" a trailer.

Eric H likes this.
  9. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Right, but for example the screen aspect ratio is the same (or almost exactly the same) for iPhone 6 Plus, 6 and even 5. Resolution is different though. So I found the best to record on 6 Plus and then all 3 of these devices is just a resize. Same for screenshots.

Those video resizers did not work for me because of either the spect ratio was off by 1 or 2 pixels or because of the usage of the codec. Then figured out most of these use ffmpeg library so I just use command line and that works great. And it is free.

JoeWilson likes this.
  10. Wings n Armor

Wings n Armor Avid Boxer

I am trying to understand how to get the aspect ratio to stay locked so when the viewer moves device the video stays in the right aspect ratio.
    I recorded the trailer in quicktime and edited it in imovie and exported to itunes. I am very frustrated.

The video rotates on my ipad and the game is in portrait but on the iphone the video is squashed and in landscape.
    I also noticed that Qplayer can export them all out and strait to itunes connect I am just not sure if I need to rotate potrait footage to landscape or it will automatically be correct the way it was originally recorded from the iphone 6 plus
    @Christoph @Eric H @decabol @jigglybean @trudnai @AndyG

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  11. Wings n Armor

Wings n Armor Avid Boxer

Tha
    Thanks @Eric H

12. Wings n Armor

Wings n Armor Avid Boxer

Thanks

13. Wings n Armor

Wings n Armor Avid Boxer

14. Mikssa

Mikssa Boxer

To iTunes videos, we know that all iTunes videos are encrypted with DRM protection, it can be played on Apple devices only. If you want to play these videos on non-Apple devices, you have to get rip of DRM protection at first. Now there are so many DRM media converter on the Internet, you can use one to convert videos quickly.