Google Analytics

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by taimoorjavaid45, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Taimoor Javaid

Taimoor Javaid Avid Boxer

Hi everyone!
    I just want to ask how to integrate google analytics in our BB game, thanks.

amazingafternoon likes this.
  2. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Hey buddy, did you ever get around this?

3. smmsud

smmsud Boxer

You cant by default. But after exporting u can do ..

4. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Yea I know but has anyone actually implemented it LIVE?

5. andreas_kviby

andreas_kviby Avid Boxer

It shouldn't be any problem to do it after export right? I got a question how much you can do after exporting the game. Can you add or alter any values already created inside BB2 in XCODE code?

6. smmsud

smmsud Boxer

I actually dont know the value of implementing google analytics with bb games. cause after implementing admob u can get pretty much analytics u want. just to to admob>monetize u will get everything.

7. Gregory Storm

Gregory Storm Avid Boxer

This is not correct information.
    Where in Monetize can you see Day 1, Day 3, Day 7 retention? Where can you see which devices and OSs? Where can you see Real-Time analytics and locations of where your players are?

8. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

There is no issue with implementing basic analytics... Goggle Analytics, Flurry, etc. Just follow the instructions provided with the vendors SDK.

9. Gregory Storm

Gregory Storm Avid Boxer

I'm building my first Buildbox project using v1.3.5 and while it's a very good tool, it lacks the basics when it comes to what's needed to grow your game's business, which is analytics.

I just successfully added Fabric Crashlytics which gives real-time analytics and can be installed in less than 5 minutes. I've added Google Analytics and I see it showing correctly in my console, but I don't see live real-time stats yet in the GA Dashboard. Once I do, I'll report back how I did it.

@TreySmith @Andy you need to add more Custom calls to BB like you did with showCustomFullscreenAd and loadingDidComplete to make it easier to add custom code like analytics. As it is right now, it's been a pain to try to dig through all the xml that BB spits out.

My suggestion is you should add at the very least add calls for the following main screens.
    - customEventForMainMenu
    - customEventForGameField
    - customEventForCoinShop
    - customEventForGameOver

That way, for the people that wanted to add Google Analytics, Flurry or are any other analytics tool, we would be able to simply add the needed code to those custom blocks.

Collin Wade Thiessen likes this.
  10. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Its a tough one sniffing around bb codes. I was working on fyber integration and got stuck where it says:

1. Get the Interstitial controller and request the offers
    // Get the Interstitial Controller
    FYBInterstitialController *interstitialController = [FyberSDK interstitialController];
    interstitialController.delegate = self;

// request the offers
    [interstitialController requestInterstitial];

I have no idea where in the custom code you place this :(

11. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Would be super cool if analytics modules would have been just as easy to add as advertisements.

Btw Apple provides a basic analytics for you, no SDK needed for that.

Deliverbo likes this.
  12. Gregory Storm

Gregory Storm Avid Boxer

I got Google Analytics, Facebook Analytics, and Fabric real-time analytics all working in my first Buildbox game!

For Google Analytics, I worked out a hack so I can track when people reach a certain screen. Unfortunately since BB doesn't yet give more custom options, this analytics hack will only work for one screen. Below I show how I did it for tracking the Main Menu screen.
    1. In your Buildbox tree view, click on the screen you want to track.
    2. Select Ad Interstitial and then select Custom.
    3. Change Ad Interstitials Freq. to 1 so that Google will be able to track every time the screen is triggered.
    4. Add Google Analytics code to your project as per the instruction from Google. I use CocoaPods pod 'GoogleAnalytics' for this to make it quick and easy.
    5. Copy and paste the following bold code into the bottom of your AppDelegate.mm
      - (void)mainMenuAnalytics
      {
      id tracker = [[GAI sharedInstance] defaultTracker];
      [tracker set:kGAIScreenName
      value:mad:"YOUR GAME Main Menu"]; // Change YOUR GAME to the name of your game.
      [tracker send:[[GAIDictionaryBuilder createScreenView] build]];
      [[GAI sharedInstance] dispatch];
      }
    6. Copy and paste [self mainMenuAnalytics]; into the showCustomFullscreenAd method in AppDelegate.mm
    That's it. It might make more sense choosing the End Screen for the Custom Ad event because that way you'll be able to see how many times a player hits that screen per session, but I went with Main Menu for now because I also have Tapdaq triggering on the Main Menu. If you have any questions, let me know.

hendrixsan and Christoph like this.
  13. CryoBox

CryoBox Boxer

Hey, does it work well for Buildbox games and is it enough? Or would it be better to integrate something like google analytics? thanks

14. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

@CryoBox that is only a very basic stuff. It can tell you how many downloads, sales, retention, session per day and some other very basic stuff. It also has some info about AppStore page views which no one else can tell you. And some referrer info too which is helpful to see what sites are driving your players to your game link. IMHO that is good enough for what we are doing in BB.

Only drawback is that only works on iOS stuff for obvious reasons. Android and other platforms are out of scope of this.

CryoBox likes this.
  15. Taimoor Javaid

Taimoor Javaid Avid Boxer

Hey @Andy, Well i have try to implement GA in Eclipse as per instructions but no data shown on dashboard. if it's that easy can you provide us a simple demo? it would be very helpful for us thanks.

16. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

1. Is this really needed? If yes, why?
    1. I never understood this CocoaPods thing. Do you mean ad the Google SDK to the frameworks folder?

17. Gregory Storm

Gregory Storm Avid Boxer

Yes, adding a Custom interstitial is needed because you are going to put your code into the Custom buildbox method in Xcode. Buildbox currently only has one Custom option. Hopefully they add more Custom options like Custom1, Custom2, Custom3, Custom4, Custom5, etc. to give more flexibility.

I don't add SDKs manually unless a vendor doesn't have a CocoaPod and most of them do because it's more efficient.

Christoph likes this.
  18. Qdeveloper

Qdeveloper Avid Boxer

I didn't find AppDelegate.mm except AppController.mm ? is that what you meant ?

19. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Yep. Buildbox projects do NOT have the AppDelegate.mm file. Use AppController.mm instead.

Qdeveloper and JoeWilson like this.
  20. Qdeveloper

Qdeveloper Avid Boxer

I tried to follow the same steps using AppController.mm but error showing up, I did all the cocopods steps to install the Google analytic to the project and i ended up with the modified xcode project to work on, Still no clear following up steps, I still have many questions in my head that left unanswered, Like where we should add the ID code for the analytic ?

but thanks anyway.