Enemy Has Been Shot Feedback

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Phill Mason, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Hi folks, I've just started working on a new shooting game and one of my slow enemies has a health of 20. Is there anyway we can see some kind of visual feedback everytime I shoot the enemy? It's very dull shooting something 20 times with no visual effect until is dead.

I did think of one way - perhaps I could attach 20 smaller (child) objects behind the master (parent) enemy and set their health to 1 and have a larger hit area and debris fly of each one when it's shot, not tried it yet, but it might work. If anyone has any clever hacks, I'd love to hear them, thanks.

2. Perry

Perry Avid Boxer

Sadly I think that is the only way to do it @Phill Mason

I have already put this item in the feature request list because I think it would add so much to our games. Both the enemies and the Character should have a "Damage Taken" animation.

3. Phill Mason

Agreed @Perry, 'damage taken' that's the word I was looking for :) Yes, much needed in BB. I'm pretty certain we had the enemies flash white in Project Mayhem games, so hopefully it shouldn't be too much of a tall order for BB.

4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Yes. You could do it the way you say, but 20 times is a little too much, don't you think? I can imagine an enemy with up to 5 layers in the exact same position, each with only 1 health value. The first one looks intact, the second has some scratches, the third looks a little weird, the fourth almost destroyed and the fifth just about to explode with a final death animation of the explosion. You could add even a life bar within the design itself above the character. That for sure would work. Not sure if you have default animations if all animations would be in sync, since they would be loaded one after another. If there is a lot going on it is a possibility that it will not work, I have seen this in my own game that a repeated animation of some light bulbs are not all in sync with the soundtrack even though they should be. Also, I can imagine if you have an enemy with 20 layers the game can get some lag very fast.

Phill Mason likes this.
  5. Phill Mason

@Christoph I was thinking more of an end boss rather than a regular enemy, hence to 20 hits to kill, or poss even 50 or 100. I like your thinking about the multi-layered approach, great idea for static imagery, but trickier for animated stuff. Gives me some ideas to play around with though, thanks.

6. pfg215

pfg215 Avid Boxer

I have a thread under "Health" under the BB2 forum, its one of the things covered. sound effects needed, flash or new animation when dmg taken. Amongst other things.