2d Platformer Return To Scene

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Lauren Maitland, May 18, 2021.

1. Lauren Maitland

Lauren Maitland Boxer

Hello everyone,

I'm brand spanking new to BuildBox and before I start building one of my dream game ideas I'm doing a few "test builds" to get to grips with the programme and teach myself. I have found this forum really helpful so far in finding answers to some specific questions, but I have been unable to find the answer to this one... So, time to ask!

I am building a 2D platformer and have only built two scenes - Start and 1. I have set up the play to be Align Scenes. I have done this because I want my character to be able to return from one scene to a previous scene, however in my test when I try to run back from scene 1 to start, my graphics have disappeared.

What am I doing wrong? How do I fix/get around this?

The idea, for example, is that the character will find a key on Scene 3 which will allow them to unlock the box on Scene 1. So, it's quite crucial that they're able to return to scenes.

Thanks in advance for your help, and for your patience in the many questions I expect I'll have on this forum.

2. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

Since you set align scenes on scene 1 your world is ending. If you had more scenes and arranged them randomly, you could use the key when the scene with the box appears. If you want to be able to choose the world you want to come back to, your project must consist of many worlds and there must be a system that will enable them to choose. I think that's what you meant.

3. Lauren Maitland

Lauren Maitland Boxer

Thanks for responding so quickly. I think I understand. Is there a draw back to just building an extra large single scene? I feel like making this into additional worlds would overcomplicate. I just want my character to be able to go back and fourth as per Super Mario III.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  4. Lauren Maitland

Lauren Maitland Boxer

Adding

I've just noticed I don't even leave the start frame before this becomes an issue. Note camel as point of reference!

It looks like the collision shapes remain no problem, but the visual graphics disappear :/ any thoughts?

Thank you

5. Lauren Maitland

Lauren Maitland Boxer

Hmm previous video didn't work, please see this one instead:

Attached Files:

6. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

Is it B3 ? Is it only start scene or start scene + scene 1?

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  7. Lauren Maitland

Lauren Maitland Boxer

Thanks again for coming back. Yes it's BB3 (free version). Did you see the screen shot? In the video the character only runs to the end of the start frame (the camel) and then back again

8. wayne_martell

wayne_martell Avid Boxer

I think it's in the world settings under Object Deletion Threshold, increase the Back Deletion Threshold to suit

Lauren Maitland likes this.
  9. Lauren Maitland

Lauren Maitland Boxer

Would you mind simplifying that even more please? I'm very new to this and not sure what you mean :)

10. wayne_martell

wayne_martell Avid Boxer

Well it's in BB2 not sure if it's in BB3

11. Lauren Maitland

Lauren Maitland Boxer

Thanks for this. I applied the object deletion threshold to 10,000 but it didn't resolve the problem. However, I just experimented with deleting scene 1 (even though I wasn't appearing to walk onto it) and the problem is no more!

So, for some reason, my hunch in building all as one scene is looking like the solution. However, I would love to understand why that's the case. I'm going to restore my deleted scene - as it looks to me now like the problem is something in there - and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks.

12. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

I suggest doing this in B2. The perfect place for the 2D world, especially platformers. B3 is more capable but B2 is more stable.