Buildbox 3 Collision Bug

Discussion in 'Buildbox 3.0' started by Haider Zaydoon, Aug 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Haider Zaydoon

Haider Zaydoon Boxer

I'm currently working on my first project and I came upon a bug. I'm trying to make a collision object (let's call it Static Collision Object) that only interacts with a certain object only (Let's call it Dynamic Box). In the physics tab of Static Collision Object, I chose Dynamic Box as affected asset.

The problem is when the Character hits the Static Collision Object, it bounces off.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong here?

2. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

A static object won’t move around. Try setting it up as Kinematic and see if that works. If it doesn’t, could you please give information on what you are trying to achieve, and how you are trying to achieve it

3. Haider Zaydoon

Haider Zaydoon Boxer

I think I didn't explain the situation well enough, my bad.
    There is an elevator, and the player needs to push a wooden box inside that elevator, press a button to go up, then push the wooden box to get it out and use it somewhere else.

A problem may occur when the player pushes the wooden box inside the elevator too much and get it too close to the elevator's wall. In this case the player won't be able to push the wooden box out again.

I wanted to solve the problem by placing a collision object inside the elevator that would only interact with the wooden box, so that the wooden box would stop when colliding with that object, while the player would go through it.

What I did was the following:

- I created a cube, set the physics to kinematic (That's the only way it will follow the elevator up and down), set the affected asset to "wooden box", and placed that cube inside the elevator.

I noticed that when the wooden box collided with the cube, it stopped, as expected. But the problem was that the character would bounce off once the character had touched the cube.

I fixed the problem by setting the cube's affected asset to "all". This way the player will have to push the wooden box inside the elevator, the wooden box will stop when colliding with the cube, the player will press a button to go up, then jump on the cube and push the wooden box out (the cube is shorter than the wooden box).

I achieved what I was aiming for, but I just wanted to report this bug.

In short, the bug is:

- When there is an object with physics on and affected asset set to a specific thing (other than character), the character will bounce off once it touches that object.