Change Background Speed Based On User Movement?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by appsushi, Feb 21, 2017.

1. appsushi

appsushi Boxer

Hi all! New here and have several questions for the first game I'm working on. I'll try and break them up by topic so they will be useful to future users as well.

First off, I have a top down car racing game where I've set the background to a speed of 15 so that it looks like my character is moving fast. I want to be able to have the speed of the background go faster or slower based on if the user drags the character up on the screen or down. Is there a way to do this?

2. Appymes

Appymes Avid Boxer

The Background speed can be changed from the Speed parameter.

You can also change the speed from the values of the world "Forzed Movement" and "Time Warp"

3. appsushi

appsushi Boxer

Appymes, thanks for the feedback. I am already using Forced Movement and my understanding of time warp is that the speed gradually speeds up over time. Neither of these is really what I am looking for. As I said, I have the background set to a speed of 15 and the movement on the screen is Joystick Touch Area covering the entire screen so that the user can move the character in any direction while the background just zooms by top to bottom. What I want is that when the user drags the character towards the top of the screen, the speed of the background and other objects go up in number and when the user drags the character down, the opposite happens. Other than gradually increasing speed, I don't see a way to effect the speed of the background by user movement. Is anyone else doing this successfully?

4. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

Yea your doing it all wrong sort off.
    background speed, set to 1 and tiling of set -2.
    then forced movement you need to have higher say min 100 max whatever you want max to be. say 175. increase at 0.1 or higher depends on how quick you want it to increase, maybe use 1.
    then character speed max speed 40 or what you like for the left & right movement. then in the right section of max speed what ever you put in there will alter the character speed also so try 50 and adjust it as you need.
    Play around with those settings and will find something you want.

5. appsushi

appsushi Boxer

playsgames666, very helpful. Thanks! I'm with you on most of this but since I'm a newb, I'm not finding some of the settings you're talking about. I've got the background speed and tiling off set and the road looks like it goes by correctly. I've ticked the forced movement on the character screen but when you say I need to have that higher, are you talking about the max speed for the character? I think the next part you are talking about the character min/max speed (set to 40/50 right?). I'm not sure where you set the 100 min / 175 max you're talking about.

THANKS for the help!

6. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

Hope this helps...

Attached Files:

appsushi likes this.
  7. appsushi

appsushi Boxer

Wow! That was very helpful! Thank for the screenshot and taking the time to help a newb out!